1. Re-branding Upstate Medical Center, University Hospital, SUNY Delight, or whatever the one million dollars went to get that message across. Yeah, “Knowing makes all the difference” but how many MRI’s and CAT Scans and other human needs could be met with that money. I
don’t care if you put a big plastic wrapper around the building like AXA did to the towers previously known as MONY. It’s a hospital ya’ll.
2. The Spruce Goose – (A.K.A. the Carousel Mall expansion). Like Howard Hughes large flying boat this flightless mega box will eventually become part of the DestiNY USA project. But until then, it’s fun to pick at its cement and metal carcass.
3. Syracuse Joint School Construction Project – (sound of crickets chirping)
4. The Onondaga Creek walk Project- “Excuse me sir, I’m Dorothy Gale from Kansas could you tell me how to get to the Mall?” just then the voices sing, “Follow the muddy brown creek.” Like the Mall expansion a work in progress, when it will be completed and where will it go?
5. Onondaga County Staff Reduction or (Look for the Union Label) – As one union worker said to me, “how would you like it if someone called you “non-essential.” Reduction in Probation and other social services will soon turn Onondaga County into Oswego County’s evil twin. As
unemployment increases the need for services provided by government increase however bickering between union officials and Joanne Mahoney ended with the County Executive making the difficult decision to induce layoffs and reduce hours for Onondaga County employees. Union
officials could have forgone a previously agreed to raise but instead choose to let this happen. The unions share the blame by refusing to share the pain.
6. Whining Workers- “Would you like some whine with that cheese?” I sat dumbfounded by a Crucible Specialty Metals employee called back to work “Live” on local television news complaining that he has to pay more into his health insurance plan. Dude, there are people out here with no job no money or health insurance. I wanted to yell at the T.V. , “you need to scrape your knees on the ground being thankful that youwere called back to work.” Most former manufacturing workers never return to the factory or the living wage those jobs provided.
7. “Crab” Grass Roots Activists – You know who you are and with every new administration there’s a new scheme that somehow gets funded. There are local so-called activists who do nothing but meddle in issues they know nothing about. The result is a disjointed dysfunctional crabs in a barrel reality that keeps the African-American community mired in back biting and infighting. A phrase commonly heard in some circles, “I’m not working with Him (her)
8. New License Plates – reportedly the governor says that the old plates are difficult to see, (insert inappropriate comment here) therefore we need these new plates that look like the same ones we had 40 years ago. There are states that have an entire sunset embossed on their license plates with black letters that fade into the back
ground. As a protest we should mail the old plates to the Governor’s office.
9. Stuff the Zoo – There were some Onondaga County workers that offered suggestions on how to close the budget gap. The most provocative one involves the Onondaga County Zoo. “Record the sounds they make and then euthanize all of the animals. Stuff and animate them like the Hall of Presidents at Disney World. Imagine when you pass by a motion sensor will activate the animals motion and recorded
vocalizations, It would save millions of dollars.”
10. Grocery Stores and the Catholic Church – both are leaving innercity neighborhoods as fast as you can say “Hail Mary.”