Department: Accounting, Central New York Regional Transportation Authority
Salary Range: $49,091-$60,126
Note: Starting salary is determined by evaluation of experience and qualifications for the position.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the CNYRTA payroll process and associated accounting functions.
- Maintains payroll information by designing systems, directing the collection, and calculation of weekly payroll.
- Pays employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Prepares Federal and State Quarterly Reports.
- Prepares and distributes yearly W2’s to employees and appropriate files with appropriate agencies
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Responsible for annual true up and reconciliation for vacation, sick, flex and dependent care as well as the bargaining accrual if necessary.
- Attend Worker’s Compensation meetings to keep abreast on the current staff that are out of the office as well as the costs the company is incurring which helps with both the payroll and cost variances.
- Performs monthly analytics of all labor accounts and other responsible areas and provides information to VP of Finance to include in monthly financial reports.
- Supports Director of Accounting as needed.
- Performs other Payroll related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required By The Position:
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, finance or business administration required, and 5 years of experience in payroll, accounting, or a similar role.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards and pronouncements.
- Experience in payroll and accounting software.
- In-depth understanding of payroll procedures, laws, taxes and best practices for payroll management.
- Keen awareness of ethics and understanding of ethics requirements as they apply to accounting functions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of finance.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of internal control principles and practices.
- Knowledge of transportation industry standards and practices.
- Knowledge of CNYRTA and department policies and procedures including ability to recognize performance trends and establish general protocols to respond to those trends.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal laws and regulations.
- Skill in planning and organizing work independently.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Applications and In-House Transfer Requests must be submitted to Amanda Wilson or go onto our website at www.centro.org and apply! All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. CNYTRA reserves the right to select a candidate from within or outside the Company.
CNYRTA is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted September 14, 2021