Mayor reminds community that neighborhoods surround campus: “Illegal parking during games creates real public safety risks to residents.”
Syracuse, N.Y. – When Orange football returns to the Dome this Saturday, the City of Syracuse is asking fans to follow on street parking regulations. Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh and Syracuse Police Chief Kenton Buckner announced Thursday that Syracuse Police assigned to traffic management around the Dome and parking checkers will ticket for illegal parking during SU Football’s home opener against Rutgers.
Mayor Walsh instituted additional parking enforcement during the 2018 and 2019 season after increasing reports of illegal parking in surrounding neighborhoods and in Thornden Park. During the 2020 season, there were no fans in the Dome due to COVID-19 precautions.
“We want fans to enjoy Dome events and all that Syracuse has to offer before and after games. We also need people to remember that the Dome is surrounded by neighborhoods where people live. Illegal parking during games creates real public safety risks to residents,” said Mayor Walsh. “Ticketing or towing cars is the last thing we want to do, so we urge fans to park legally or use official Dome parking. It’s cheaper and easier than getting a ticket.”
Officers working Dome traffic management, as well as dedicated parking checkers, will work around campus and in University neighborhoods after kickoff to enforce parking regulations:
- On city streets, vehicles that violate alternate side of the street parking requirements may be ticketed.
- In Thornden Park, Syracuse University will place traffic barrels where parking is not allowed. Vehicles parked illegally in the park may also be ticketed.
- Vehicles blocking driveways; using handicap parking without authorization; parking within 10 feet of a fire hydrant; or preventing passage of public safety equipment may be towed.
Fines for illegal parking are:
- Overtime at a meter: $40
- No parking zone: $40
- Blocking a fire hydrant: $75
- Unauthorized handicap parking: $130
For information on parking at Dome events, go to: https://cuse.com/sports/2018/8/8/carrier-dome-parking-lot-guide.aspx.