Assistant Corporation Counsel: Labor & Employment Law City of Syracuse
The Office of the City of Syracuse Corporation Counsel is seeking a full-time Labor and Employment Attorney. The Assistant Corporation Counsel manages legal issues related to labor and employee relations; advises the Department of Human Resources and various City Departments on day-to-day management of the labor and employment related issues in an effort to assure compliance with applicable laws and collective bargaining agreements and reduce the likelihood of litigation; litigates labor and employment issues. This position requires an understanding of relationships between labor and its representatives and management, and between supervisors and employees. An ideal candidate will have familiarity with New York state public sector labor law and civil service law.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Represent the City in the grievance process, labor arbitration hearings, and administrative proceedings pursuant to the Taylor Law and/or collective bargaining agreements.
- Represent the City in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New York State Division of Human Rights (NYSDHR).
- Counsel management on legal interpretation and/or application of collective bargaining agreements, personnel manuals and other internal and external documents.
- Provide legal advice to the Department of Human Resources and other management departments on employment, labor, and civil service law matters.
- Provide legal counsel to the Department of Human Resources in collective bargaining sessions.
- Perform legal and factual research; prepare legal opinions; review and prepare collective bargaining and other agreements.
- Perform other duties as assigned in these and related areas.
- Admission to the New York State Bar.
- At least two years as a practicing attorney.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local labor law and NY State Civil Service Law.
- Residency in the City of Syracuse (or willingness to relocate within a reasonable period of time.)
- Relevant experience and/or demonstrated interest in the areas of labor and employment law.
- Experience in labor arbitration, administrative hearings and/or labor negotiations.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Based on experience.
The Affirmative Action Policy of the City of Syracuse is to provide equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, creed, age (18 and over), marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity or gender expression, sexual or affectional preference or orientation, or any other classified group within the protected class. The City also complies with 31 CFR part 51. If you have a disability for which you wish special accommodation to be made, contact the Department of Personnel at City Hall, Rm 312 at 315-448-8780.
The City of Syracuse may conduct a criminal background check with regard to the employment sought.