Hauppauge, NY (January 3, 2019) – The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Fund will conduct a recruitment from January 28, 2019 through January 24, 2020 for five cabinetmaker apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications must be obtained in person at the following locations, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
All applications must be received no later than January 24, 2020.
- Albany – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 16 Corporate Circle, Albany, NY
- Hauppauge – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 270 Motor Pkwy, Dept. B, Hauppauge, NY
- Hopewell Junction – Local 279, 10 Corporate Park Drive, Suite A, Hopewell Junction, NY
- Rochester – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 21 Jet View Dr., Rochester, NY
This schedule is in effect throughout the recruitment period, excluding legal holidays. Applicants should be prepared to take a math and measurement computation test at the time of application. Applicants must bring their driver’s license or other state-issued ID card, at time of application, to verify residency. Applications must be received no later than January 24, 2020.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Must provide proof of same from school prior to indenture.
- Must sign a statement indicating that they are physically able to perform the work of a Cabinetmaker, which includes:
- Performing constant repetitive motions.
- Standing and stooping for prolonged periods of time. Working in all types of weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
- Lifting and carrying objects over 50 lbs.
- Using stationary tools, portable hand tools, and power tools.
- Climbing and working from heights of at least 10 feet.
- Must live within the geographical jurisdiction of the Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Committee for at least 6 months, which includes the counties of: Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Steuben, Suffolk, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming, Yates.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture. If an applicant tests positive, they cannot reapply for one year.
- Must participate in an interview, if selected.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from worksites throughout the zoned areas and out of state related instruction classes.
- Must be willing and able to attend related instruction at a Northeast Carpenters Training Center in New Jersey, as required for four one-week periods, during each of the four years of apprenticeship.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Fund at:
- Albany – (518) 438-0901
- Hauppauge – (631) 952-9555
- Rock Tavern – (845) 567-1810
- Rochester – (585) 436-1110
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.