Check Your Property Assessment Ahead of Grievance Day Deadline on May 23

Property owners who believe their assessment is too high can appeal to their local review board

The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance today reminded property owners—homeowners and businesses—that now is the time to review their assessments.

The deadline to challenge your property assessment, also known as “Grievance Day,” is May 23 in most communities. Tentative assessment rolls, which list the assessed value of each property, are generally made public in the beginning of May. You can access the rolls at your town’s or city’s website, or by visiting your local assessor’s office.

“The fourth Tuesday of May, which is the 23rd this year, is Assessment Grievance Day in most communities across the state,” said Acting Commissioner Nonie Manion. “If you wait until your tax bill arrives, it’ll be too late to challenge the value assigned to your property or to ensure you’re getting the exemptions you deserve.”

If you believe the market value listed on the assessment roll for your property is significantly higher than the price for which the property could be sold, visit the Contest Your Assessment webpage on the Tax Department website.

Your local Board of Assessment Review will review your case based on the information you provide. When filing for assessment review, you must provide a market value estimate of your property. You can support that estimate with documentation about the sale of comparable homes or properties in your community. A recent appraisal can be helpful, but isn’t necessary. The Tax Department’s website also includes information on how to estimate the market value of your home.

“This is an important reminder because it’s ultimately up to you to ensure that the market value determined for your property is accurate,” added Acting Commissioner Manion.

Property tax exemptions on the assessment roll

Assessment rolls also list the property tax exemptions each property receives. If you applied for an exemption that you’re qualified for, and it doesn’t appear on the assessment roll, you can use the grievance process to appeal to the local Board of Assessment Review.

For more information