Schedule of events include activities from Clinton Square to City Hall
Syracuse, N.Y. – The City of Syracuse will host the annual Clinton Square “Home for the Holidays” Tree Lighting Ceremony on Friday, Nov. 29 starting at 6:00 p.m. The ceremony will include the reveal of the new 42-foot tall artificial tree with its more than 10,000 multi-colored LED lights and 1,200 ornaments on 400 panels of branches. The City’s Skilled Trades crew is assembling the tree at Clinton Square between the weeks of Nov. 11 and Nov. 22. in preparation for the event.
“We are starting a new tradition around putting up the tree this year, and expect it to be one that the community will enjoy,” said Mayor Ben Walsh. “When we flip the switch to light the tree, it will be an exciting moment. And we’ll also have a great program of holiday activities occurring around downtown. It’s going to be a great kickoff to the holiday season.”
Tom Kenny, Syracuse native, actor, comedian and the voice of the main character SpongeBob SquarePants, will co-host the event with Maria Maldonado-Lewis, constituent service advocate for the City of Syracuse.
A pre-show will include a singing and skating performance by Snow Queen and Snow Sisters, also known as the Ice Sisters from 6 p.m., closing with a performance by Trumptight315 at 7:15 p.m. Entertainment and festivities will continue throughout the evening in Hanover Square, City Hall Commons Atrium and the Mayor’s Office Open House at Syracuse City Hall until 9 p.m. The full schedule of City-sponsored events is included below.
Parking and Road Closures
There is no charge for street parking on Nov. 29. Streets will be closed according to the following schedule:
Closed from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Clinton Street, from West Genesee Street to Washington Street
- Erie Blvd. West, from Clinton Street to Franklin Street
- 200 block of West Water Street, from Clinton Street to Franklin Street
Closed from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Clinton Street, from Herald Place to Genesee Street
- Salina Street, from Willow Street to Washington Street
- Genesee Street, from Franklin Street to Salina Street
- James Street, from Salina Street to Warren Street
- 100 block of Water Street and East Genesee Street, from Salina Street to Warren Street
- Erie Blvd. East, from Salina Street to Warren Street
List of Events
Clinton Square Ice Skating
The Clinton Square Ice Rink will be open for skating on Nov. 29 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It will be closed during the tree lighting ceremony and reopen immediately after until 9:30 p.m. The general admission fee is $3.00. The admission fee for children (12 and under) and seniors (55 and older) is $2.00. Skate rentals cost $3.00. Credit card payments are now accepted.
Tree Lighting Ceremony: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Clinton Square
Trumptight315, a Syracuse R&B/soul band from Syracuse, will provide musical entertainment throughout the program, closing the event with a song. Mr. and Mrs. Claus are “coming to town” before heading over to City Hall. As You Wish Entertainment’s Ice Sisters will be available to take photos and to skate with families after the ceremony.
Mayor Ben Walsh, Deputy Mayor Sharon Owens, Police Chief Kenton Buckner, and Fire Chief Michael Monds will be joined on stage by the four winners of the City Winter Art Competition. The ceremony is expected to conclude by 7:15 p.m.
There is accessible seating located near the corner of West Water and South Salina streets.
Hanover Square from 7:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- The Chittenango Select Choir will sing Christmas carols.
- Hanover Square businesses will be decorated
City Hall Commons Atrium: from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 201 East Washington Street.
- Liturgical Dance with Adonai Praise Dancers will perform from 7:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- The Symphoria Youth Symphony Orchestra at 7:50 p.m. to 8:05 p.m.
- The Christmas Cantata by the Gracias Choir 8:10 p.m. to 8:25 p.m.
Mayor’s Office Open House: 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. at Syracuse City Hall 233 East Washington Street.
- The community is invited to tour the Mayor’s Office following the tree lighting ceremony.
- The Victory Temple Choir will perform in the City Hall lobby until 8:15 p.m.
- and Mrs. Claus will be available for photos in the Mayor’s Suite.
- The Mayor and the Police and Fire Chief will also be available for photos.
- SEIU 1199 Healthcare Education Project will host a holiday card decorating station and families in the Mayor’s Suite.
- There is an accessible entrance located on Montgomery Street.
2019 Holiday Film: Sunday, Dec. 22 at 3 p.m. at the Landmark Theatre, 362 South Salina Street.
The City of Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs will offer a free showing of the holiday film, “The Grinch” at the Landmark Theatre on Sunday, Dec. 22. Doors open at 3 p.m. There will be activities, games, candy and Santa Claus will take pictures with the children. The movie will begin at 4 p.m. The activities and movie are free. Refreshments will be for sale in the lobby concession stand.