The City of Syracuse, Office of Corporation Counsel, is seeking a Legal Secretary to support the transactional legal team in its work.
Typical work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares and types general and legal correspondence and legal documents, including ordinances, local laws, resolutions, contracts and correspondence.
- Maintains and organizes confidential legal files and general office files.
- Proofreads completed work to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Prepares routine legal forms and memos.
- Performs related clerical duties.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Good knowledge of legal terminology, the general course of legal proceedings, and legal forms.
- Good knowledge of law office practices and procedures.
- Good knowledge of the functions and capabilities of Word, Excel and capacity to quickly learn and utilize new software.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with attorneys, paralegals, other employees, and the general public.
- Ability to prepare routine letters, memoranda, and legal forms.
- Physically able to personally file or deliver documents to varied locations within the City of Syracuse
The ideal candidate will exhibit the flexibility to adapt to new procedures and processes. The candidate will have a strong work ethic, including the ability to work independently to prioritize disparate assignments and meet applicable deadlines. The candidate should also have excellent organizational skills, multitasking ability, and attention to detail. The candidate should be willing and able to work as part of a team.
- Associates Degree in Secretarial Science or a closely related field and one (1) year of work experience, or its part time equivalent, in a legal environment, which must have included typing or word processing of letters and documents; or,
- Three (3) years of work experience, or its part time equivalent, which must have included typing or word processing of letters and documents, one (1) year which must have been in a legal environment; or,
- An equivalent combination of education and experience as described in A or B.
Possession of a Paralegal Certification will be deemed equivalent to one (1) year of work experience, or its part time equivalent, in a legal environment.
Pursuant to the Charter of the City of Syracuse, must be a resident of the City of Syracuse or willing to relocate upon employment.
Salary: Mid-$30K range with full benefits and membership in state retirement system.
Email resume to email@example.com.
The City of Syracuse is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
The Affirmative Action Policy of the City of Syracuse is to provide equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, creed, age (18 and over), marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity or gender expression, sexual or affectional preference or orientation, or any other classified group within the protected class. The City also complies with 31 CFR part 51. If you have a disability for which you wish special accommodation to be made, contact the Department of Personnel at City Hall, Rm 312 at 315-448-8780.
The City of Syracuse may conduct a criminal background check with regard to the employment sought.