SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The City of Syracuse today released its schedule of roadwork projects for the week of September 8 through September 14. For more information, including detailed maps of detours, residents are invited to visit the City of Syracuse roadwork webpage at www.syrgov.net/roadwork.
Erie Blvd. West Bridge over Onondaga Creek. This City project will reduce traffic to one lane in each direction. Ramp from Erie Blvd to West St. northbound (& I-690) closed. Ramp detour: Eastbound on Erie Blvd: south at Plum to West St, south on S West St., east on Fayette St, north on northbound West St. Arterial. Westbound on Erie Blvd: south at Franklin St, west on Washington St, north on northbound West Street Arterial.
Connective Corridor Projects
- East Genesee Street between Almond Street and Townsend Street. Westbound traffic will be detoured at Almond St. south to Harrison St, west to State St. and north back to East Genesee St intersection. Eastbound traffic will be maintained throughout.
- East Genesee Street. This project will detour westbound traffic on East Genesee Street between Townsend Street and State Street. Westbound traffic will be detoured at Townsend St. north to Washington St., west to State St. and south back to East Genesee St intersection. Eastbound traffic will be maintained throughout.
- Fayette Street. Multiple blocks of Fayette Street (between Townsend Street and Clinton Street) will be closed to westbound traffic. This westbound traffic will be detoured at East Fayette Street and Townsend Street, north to Washington Street, west to Franklin Street and south on Franklin Street back to West Fayette Street. Traffic wishing to access Fayette Street within this area should do so via the eastbound route as westbound travel within this area will be restricted and detoured. As part of this project, there may also be lane reductions on Montgomery Street, S. State Street S. Townsend Street, within this area.
- Almond Street. The project will close a southbound lane (western most) on Almond Street between East Fayette Street and East Genesee Street. All southbound traffic will merge into the remaining lane (eastern most). No detour.
- East Genesee Street. The project will close the southern, eastbound lane of traffic between Almond St. and Forman Avenue. All eastbound traffic will merge into the remaining eastbound lane. No detour.
West Street. This City led project will include lane reductions on West Street between W. Fayette St. and W. Onondaga St. due to paving and striping this area.
Midland Avenue. This City led project will include a road closure on Midland Avenue bridge over Onondaga Creek. Pedestrian access on the bridge will be maintained, but the southbound vehicular detour is: Midland east on Tallman, south on Cortland back to Midland and the northbound vehicular detour is: Midland north on Cortland, west on Tallman, back to Midland.
West Genesee Street. This City led project will include a full street closure with detours. Westbound traffic on West Genesee St. will be detoured, north on State Fair Blvd., west on Hiawatha Blvd., north on Erie Blvd., and south on W. Fayette St. back to West Genesee St. Eastbound traffic will be detoured south on W. Fayette St., and north on Geddes St., back to West Genesee St. Erie Blvd West traffic will follow the same detours.
I-690. This NYSDOT-led project will affect multiples lanes and exits along the I-690 route in Syracuse.
Eastbound I-690 ramp to West Street (Exit 11): This ramp will be closed to all traffic beginning at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, September 2 and remain closed around-the-clock until September 30. Motorists can access West Street by using the right lane of Exit 12 (West Genesee Street) then proceeding past the signal at West Genesee Street. This bridge deck work will also require that the ramps from Butternut and Franklin Streets to West Street be closed.
- Westbound I-690: The right lane will be closed between the ramp to southbound I-81 and Onondaga Creek, beginning at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, September 2 and continuing around-the-clock until October 6. The lane closure is needed for bridge pedestal and bearing repairs on a ramp passing over the interstate. The above work will complete the two year bridge rehabilitation project on the I-690 / West Street Interchange project.
Valley Drive. This City led project will include road closures by block as project advances with detours along Valley Drive between Atlantic Avenue and West Newell Street. Detours will be signed.
La Festa Italiana will affect downtown streets beginning Thursday morning, September 11th through Monday morning September 15th. Road closures will occur on Washington Street between State Street and Montgomery Street, and Montgomery Street between Washington Street and Fayette Street.