DEPARTMENT: Operations – Central New York Regional Transportation Authority
SALARY RANGE: Training Rate – $18.60 Part-Time Rate (Upon successful completion of training) – $21.60/Hour
- Provide safe, courteous, on-time transportation to the general public and other designated groups in a variety of mass transit vehicles.
- Adhere to traffic regulations.
- Collect correct fares and issue transfers.
- Communicate with the public regarding routes, schedules, and transfer points.
- Communicate and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and abilities.
- Communicate with the Operations Center by radio and provide verbal and written reports.
- Punctuality and regular attendance are essential to provide dependable service to the public.
- Centro is looking for workers who can commit to at least 20 or more hours per week of regular selected hours.
- Paid training is provided to qualified candidates committed to a full or part-time career with the Company.
- Upon completion of the training program full and part-time opportunities will be offered.
- Applicants must have a CDL-B permit or license (General Knowledge, Air Brake, and Passenger Endorsement portions of the exam) to be eligible for hire.
- The 8-week training program provides exposure to all routes and runs within the Centro system. The program includes 3-weeks of in-classroom and on-bus instruction, followed by 5-weeks in the field. The first 3-weeks are primarily dedicated to classroom work (Monday – Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm) with one mandatory Saturday. The following 5-weeks are on-the-road training with Line Instructors and require trainees to work various hours of the day and night. Centro’s hours of operation range from 4:20am to 1:15am. Centro trainers will advise you in advance of your schedule. Your training schedule may be demanding and could require you to work at least 3 Saturdays in order to learn all facets of the bus system.
Training class starts November 29, 2021
- Five years of licensed driving experience.
- Valid NYS Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger and air brake endorsements.
- Acceptable driving record at the time of job offer.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., or equivalent experience.
- Customer-focused attitude.
- Physical ability to, safely, operate a bus and the ability to keep the bus under control at all times.
- Completion of a physical examination conducted under article 19-A of the NYSDOT regulations.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in the English language. Communicating with passengers both in the regular course of business and especially during an emergency is critical.
- A drug test with a negative result must be taken no more than 30 days prior to beginning training. NOTE: Bus operators are subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to work/return to duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing once they are hired.
- Current, complete driving record abstract from the state Department of Motor Vehicles is required upon hire; violations are evaluated by their severity and time frame.
- Certain criminal and/or driving convictions will not necessarily bar you from employment consideration.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit an application and resume to:
Centro HR Department
200 Cortland Ave – PO Box 820
Syracuse NY 13205