Syracuse Build – Overview – Syracuse Build is a soon-to-be-launched initiative that will build a robust and inclusive workforce pipeline of Syracuse residents aligned with upcoming employment opportunities associated with unprecedented levels of investment in the city’s urban core. Syracuse Build will establish a suite of programs that will cultivate a stronger pipeline of qualified workers that can meet the city’s workforce needs. Rather than reinventing the wheel, Syracuse Build will adopt nationally recognized best practices and align with local workforce development partners to achieve these outcomes. Syracuse Build will achieve systems change by forging new partnerships between local government, anchor institutions, construction companies, labor unions, workforce partners, and community-based organizations. These partnerships will dramatically increase the number of diverse Syracuse residents, from low-income communities, within the local trades and construction industry. CNY Works will serve as the Syracuse Build operating partner, and the Director of Syracuse Build will serve as a member CNY Works staff.
The Director of Syracuse Build will serve as the public point of contact for the Syracuse Build initiative. She/he will be responsible for working with the Syracuse Build Steering Committee to identify anchor projects, where Syracuse Build programs can place diverse, local and veteran workers onto career pathways with construction firms, union apprenticeships, and within anchor partner institutions. The Director will coordinate and facilitate with the steering committee, enabling them to set goals, share best practices, seek funds, communicate success and sustain programming. The Director will supervise and work with the Syracuse Build Manager to ensure alignment between anchor project opportunities and Syracuse Build training programs and community partners. The Director, with support from the Manager, will be the lead interface between General Contractors/Construction Managers and Labor Unions. The Director will also coordinate communications related to Syracuse Build. To this end, he/she will also serve as a point of contact for a Community Review Committee, where Syracuse Build results will be reported and updates communicated.
The Director of Syracuse Build will report to the Syracuse Build Steering Committee and be supervised by the Executive Director of CNY Works.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Anchor Partners to identify all points of alignment with Syracuse Build, including jobs created through contracted capital projects and, when possible, internal hiring opportunities;
- As projects/job opportunities are identified, he/she will work with anchor partners to establish and communicate “community benefit” goals, policies and/or incentives related to hiring through Syracuse Build programming;
- Work with a network of partners to ensure a robust pipeline of qualified, supported workers are being funneled to Syracuse Build anchor projects and hiring opportunities;
- Supervise the daily operations of the Syracuse Build Manager to ensure worker placement into union apprenticeship pathways when possible/appropriate;
- Facilitate meetings with Steering Committee to report progress, share best practices, pursue funds/resources, establish common goals, communicate success and sustain programming;
- Engage with the joint Syracuse Build Communications Team to facilitate communication strategies and execution;
- Actively participate on CNY Works’ Program Committee with CNY Works and report out to CNY Works’ Executive Committee;
- Communicate with media outlets when requested/approved by Executive Director;
- Establish and lead regular meetings for the Community Review Committee (2-4 times per year); work with Work Train staff and contracted partners to report data and relevant stories, ensuring information flow and reporting of attainment of goals as set for the Syracuse Build program;
- Perform other duties as identified and assigned to this position.
- This is a senior-level position requiring vision and skill related to strategic planning, relationship management, and communication.
- This individual must be committed to the values of diversity and economic inclusion – and have a proven track record in advancing these values in a professional setting.
- Experience in construction, local and/or state government, and/or campus planning will be viewed favorably in the application process, though not required.
- Experience working with Labor Unions will be viewed favorably in the application process, though not required.
- Experience in workforce and/or community development will be viewed favorably in the application process, though not required.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills.
- Experience managing collaborative projects involving diverse stakeholders, including multiple funders, and incorporating feedback and learning loops;
- Experience working in and with socioeconomically diverse communities
- Ability to supervise and manage the daily operations of the Syracuse Build Manager
- Experience generating nontraditional revenue sources such as Grant Writing and Philanthropy.
- Ability to work flexible hours to fulfill expectations associated with this position.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgement to make appropriate decisions
- Bachelor’s degree or significant commensurate professional experience (e.g. human resources, workforce development, economic development, etc.) required.
- Comprehensive understanding of Central New York economic development, workforce development, and community organizations.
Full time position with competitive salary and benefits.
Please submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to CNY Works HR, HR@cnyworks.com