Cicero, NY (March 23, 2018) – The Upstate New York Engineers Training Fund, Local Union #545 (also doing business as Local Union #158, District #545), will conduct a recruitment from April 30, 2018 through May 11, 2018 for three operating engineer (heavy equipment) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the three openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for five recruitment regions – the Central, Finger Lakes, Mohawk Valley, North Country, and Southern Tier regions.
Applications can be obtained, in person only, at the Upstate NY Engineers Training Fund, District #545 Training site, 814 County Route 23, Constantia, NY from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for 10 business days or until 35 applications have been distributed, whichever comes first. Applications must be completed on the premises. All applications must be received no later than 5/11/18 at 2:30 p.m.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of an operating engineer, which includes:
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working with and/or operating hazardous machinery.
- Working in extremely dusty conditions.
- Working in extremely hot, cold, or wet weather.
- Working over water.
- Working at heights.
- Possible exposure to loud noises and respiratory irritants.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture (apprentices may be subject to random drug testing at any time during their apprenticeship).
- Must be able to read and understand English.
- Must be able to understand verbal instructions and warnings given in English.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #545, which includes the counties of Cayuga, Cortland, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, St. Lawrence, Seneca, and Tompkins.
- Must have at least one year of trade-related experience.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and related instruction classes.
- Must provide military transfer or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #545 at (315) 623-7176.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.