Constantia, NY (August 24, 2018) – The Upstate New York Engineers Training Fund, Local Union #545 (also doing business as Local Union #158, District #545), will conduct a recruitment from October 1, 2018 through October 12, 2018 for two operating engineer (heavy equipment operator) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the two openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for five recruitment regions – the Central, Finger Lakes, Mohawk Valley, North Country, and Southern Tier regions.
Applications can be obtained in-person only, at the Upstate NY Engineers Training Constantia site located at 814 County Route 23, Constantia, NY from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for 10 business days or until 35 applications have been submitted, whichever comes first. Applications must be completed on the premises.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required at time of acceptance.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof will be required at time of acceptance.
- Must attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of an operating engineer, which includes:
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working with and/or operating hazardous machinery.
- Working in extremely dusty conditions.
- Working in extremely hot, cold, or damp weather.
- Working over water.
- Working from heights.
- Possible exposure to loud noises and respiratory irritants.
- Must pass a drug/alcohol test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture (apprentices may be subject to random drug testing at any time during the apprenticeship).
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #545, which includes the counties of Cayuga, Cortland, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, St. Lawrence, Seneca, or Tompkins.
- Must be able to read and understand English.
- Must be able to understand verbal instructions and warnings given in English.
- Must have at least one year of trade-related experience.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles. Proof will be required at time of acceptance.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and related instruction classes.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #545 at (315) 623-7176.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.