The year is rapidly coming to a close and the holiday season has officially begun. Have you considered making a Health Checklist to bring in the New Year with a schedule of healthy activities and tasks that will be of benefit to you, your family and friends? Here are 5 ideas that may be of interest to you.
1. Try stuffing holiday stockings for your family and friends with items that will motivate and peak interest in learning how to live a healthy lifestyle. A cookbook full of healthy recipes will be especially healthful for your friends who like to cook and entertain guests.
2. Schedule an annual physical next year for yourself and members of your family. Ask your physician to provide a list of immunizations and recommended health screenings based on the age of each of your family members.
3. Don’t forget to schedule dental cleanings and/or screenings for you and your loved ones. Although it’s been said many times, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
4. Get Moving. Join a gym, take the stairs or start a walking club at work or with family and friends. You will be surprised at how much more invigorated you will feel after exercising. It doesn’t matter how long or short the distance you walk. The important thing is that you start!
5. Drink 8 glasses of water each day. Many of us are not drinking enough water. Although no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body’s need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day. Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don’t have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.
This message is brought to you on behalf of Syracuse Community Health Center, Your Health Care Home of Choice!
Season’s Greetings and Best Wishes for a Healthy and Happy New Year!