Syracuse, NY (April 20, 2016) – The Joint Apprenticeship Committee for Ironworkers Local Union #60 will conduct a recruitment from May 2, 2016 through April 28, 2017 for 10 ironworker (outside) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for four recruitment regions – the Central, Finger Lakes, North Country and Southern regions. This program’s jurisdiction includes the counties of Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Schuyler, Seneca, Tioga, Tompkins and Wayne.
Applications can be obtained at Local Union #60, 500 West Genesee Street, Syracuse, NY from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications may also be obtained at www.ironworkers60.org. All applications must be received no later than 5/5/17.
The application must be completed in its entirety and submitted with two letters of recommendation from employers. Recent graduates may submit letters of recommendation from teachers or school officials.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must be in good physical condition.
- Must pass an agility test, which includes climbing ladders and working at heights.
- Must pass a drug test and a physical exam, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must take and pass a math and detail accuracy assessment.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work and related instruction.
- Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #60, which includes the counties of Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Seneca, Schuyler, Tioga, Tompkins, and Wayne.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #60 at (315) 422-8200.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.