Ongoing Sunnycrest Golf Course upgrades include green expansions, re-seeding, brush clearing, irrigation upgrades and new hole signage
Syracuse, N.Y. – Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh and Parks Commissioner Julie LaFave joined a group of senior golfers at Sunnycrest Golf Course, located on Caleb and Hickok Avenues, to unveil course improvements. Over the last three months, Parks’ Ground crews have been working on upgrades in an effort to enhance playability for golfers and FootGolf players.
“The work the Grounds crews have done to improve the playing conditions at Sunnycrest Golf Course is really impressive,” said Mayor Ben Walsh. “We are fortunate to have two municipal 9-hole golf courses in our city and we want to encourage residents to take full advantage of the courses that are right here in our backyard.”
Sunnycrest Golf Course hours of operation are 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Golf memberships are available for purchase online at bit.lysyrgolfmemberships. Season memberships entitle golfers to unlimited green fees at Burnet and Sunnycrest courses, depending on course availability.
Golf memberships fees are:
- Adults (18 – 54): $100
- Juniors (6 – 17): $40
- Seniors (55+): $40
Non-city residents will be charged an additional $25 surcharge.
Daily golf greens and FootGolf fees are:
- Adults (18 – 54): $6
- Juniors (6 – 17): $3
- Seniors (55+): $3
Cash payments are not accepted. Checks and credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) only. A non-refundable 2.75% credit card transaction fee will be applied.
Both Burnet and Sunnycrest golf courses have upcoming opportunities and events including:
- Free Father’s Day Golf for fathers and grandfathers, with the purchase of one greens fee, on Sunday, June 20 will be available at both courses.
- Bucks, Balls, and Brews, a family event, will run Saturday, July 24, 2 – 6 p.m. at Burnet Park. The event will feature the band “Vaporeyes,” food trucks, Middle Ages Brewing Company, and a Ball Drop with a chance to win $1,000. 500 tickets will be sold and available for $5 at both courses. The event is a Syracuse Parks Conservancy fundraiser for future park improvements. More details to follow on the Syracuse Parks Conservancy’s Facebook page.
- Junior Leagues at Burnet will be on Mondays from July 12 – Aug. 9. Tee times begin at 11 a.m. for ages 6 – 17. Participants can sign up at both courses.
- A Junior Golf Clinic at Sunnycrest, Aug. 2 – 6, 9 a.m. – Noon, for ages 6 – 17. Participants can register at http://bit.ly/juniorgolfclinic2021.
- The Junior Mayors Cup at Burnet on Wednesday, Aug. 11 for ages 6 – 17. Participants can sign up at both courses.
- A Night Golf Tournament at Burnet on Saturday, Aug. 21. Details to follow.
FootGolf is also available at Sunnycrest Golf Course. FootGolf hours are 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Footgolf is a precision sport, aimed for all ages, combining soccer and golf. The rules largely correspond to the rules of golf and players kick a regulation soccer ball at the golf course on shortened holes with 21-inch diameter cups in as few shots as possible.
“It has been a pleasure to work with Sunnycrest Golf Course and to watch cities such as Syracuse, NY adopt FootGolf and introduce this sport to their communities,” said CEO of American FootGolf League Laura Balestrini. “FootGolf can be played by everyone and is one of the few sports that families can play together. Courses like Sunnycrest are perfect for FootGolf and expand the opportunities for more people to enjoy the golf course.”
For questions regarding golf courses, leagues and programming, contact Joe Burns at 315-473-4330.