Rochester, NY (March 27, 2019) – The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Eastern Millwright Regional Council, will conduct a recruitment from May 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020 for 10 millwright apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the 10 openings listed for millwright apprentices represent the total number for multiple recruitment regions – the Capital District, Central, Finger Lakes, Mohawk Valley, North Country, Southern Tier, and Western regions of New York.
Applications can be obtained on-line any day and any time during the recruitment period at www.easternmillwrights.com. All applications must be received on-line no later than 12:00 p.m. on April 30, 2020.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required at time of indenture or bona fide offer of employment.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required at time of indenture or bona fide offer of employment.
- Must sign an affidavit indicating that they are physically able to perform the work of the trade, which may include:
- Performing repetitive motions
- Using a wide array of precision tools, such as Vernier calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, levels, gauge blocks, and optical laser alignment tooling used for standards of accuracy.
- Climbing and working from heights, on scaffolds, in confined spaces underground.
- Working under conditions of inclement weather, rain, snow, cold, heat and direct sunlight.
- Lifting objects weighing as much as 50 pounds.
- Standing and stooping for prolonged periods of time.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various jobsites and related instruction classes.
- Must live in New York State.
- Must provide copy of DD-214, if applicable (if applicant is a veteran), at time of indenture or bona fide offer of employment
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture. Drug testing may be administered at any time during the program.
- Must take a qualifying Math test. Score will be part of the evaluation.
For further information, applicants should contact Eastern Millwright Regional Council at (315) 949-7031. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor office.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.