Neighbors Alert Occupants to House Fire on Shonnard Street

Syracuse, N.Y. – Around 10:00 pm August 5th, the Onondaga County 911 center received multiple calls about a house on fire at 315 Shonnard Street.  The first fire department units were on scene in less than three minutes and found a 2-story single family dwelling with a large amount of fire visible on the second floor.  Firefighters immediately began working on extinguishing the fire and searching for any trapped occupants.  It took 25 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Firefighters were able to contain most of the damage to two rooms on the second floor.  The cause of the fire was determined to be a child playing with a lighter.  The Red Cross is currently assisting the family with shelter and other needs.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home, and the occupants were alerted to the fire by neighbors.  The Syracuse Fire Department would like to remind everyone to make sure that the smoke detectors in your home are working properly.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), almost three of every five home fire deaths occur in homes that do not have working smoke detectors.  If you need guidance on obtaining or installing smoke detectors, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (315) 448-4777.