A new area of the Great New York State Fair will host a brand new festival in 2017. La Feria in the Fair, created by the Fair in collaboration with the newspaper CNY Latino, will feature three afternoons and evenings of music, along with crafts, merchandise, and food. The event takes place Friday, Aug. 25 – Sunday, Aug. 27. It is the first major event to take place in the newly-opened in the New York Experience area on the western end of the Fairgrounds, which is the final piece of the renovations provided by Governor Cuomo’s $50 million plan to re-energize the 127 year old facility. Applications from vendors for the area are still being accepted.
“We work very hard to create a state fair that is representative of the entire state, whether it’s in signing up vegan or Kosher food vendors, Pride Day or the Pan-African Village, or special days for Native Americans, seniors and others. So when we were approached about creating a special festival within the Fair to celebrate Hispanic culture, we jumped at the chance,” said Troy Waffner, Acting Fair Director.
“La Feria in the Fair is a great opportunity that the New York State Fair has given to us, not only to feature our people and our culture in New York State, but also to place another important ethnic group in this huge annual event, reflecting the diversity the Empire State has and has always had.” said Hugo Acosta, Owner and Publisher of CNY Latino.
The new Empire Stage in the New York Experience area will serve as the center of La Feria, as talented musicians from around the country take the stage.
- Alex Torres and his Orchestra. This 12 piece salsa band, formed in Amsterdam, NY in 1980, has had its music used on TV and in films and has performed for former President Clinton at the New York State Democratic Convention.
- Orquestra Antonetti with Victor Antonetti, Jr. The eight piece Rochester salsa and merengue band, founded by Antonetti’s father in 1970, has shared the stage with top performers and has produced three CDs of the band’s music.
Afrikan2, of Rochester, is a large band of musicians who are marrying salsa rhythms with the rhythms of African music. The festival aims to showcase Hispanic culture. Vendors and exhibitors interested in being part of La Feria can contact Acosta at (315) 415-8593 or hacosta@CNYLatino.com.
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 23 to September 4, 2017. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its theme, “FIND YOUR GREAT,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment.
The full schedule:
- Conjuntos Ecos Borincanos, at 3 pm Friday, August 25
- Orquestra Antonetti with Victor Antonetti, Jr. at 7 pm August 25. This performance will take place on the Talent Showcase stage near the Youth Building.
- Luis Amondo Calderon Chavez, at 2 pm Saturday, August 26
- Orquestra La Muralla at 4 pm Saturday, August 26
- Grupo Pagan at 6:30 pm Saturday, August 26
- Alex Torres and his Orchestra, 9 pm Saturday, August 26
- BombaRoc, at 4 pm Sunday, August 27
- Kevin Tapia, 6:30 pm Sunday, August 27
- Afrikan2, 9 pm Sunday, August 27