Cicero, NY (August 16, 2019) – The Engineers JTF Local #832 DBA Upstate Engineers 158 will conduct a recruitment from September 30, 2019 through October 11, 2019 for two Operating Engineer (Heavy Equipment) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the two openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for three recruitment regions – the Finger Lakes, Southern Tier, and Western regions.
Applications can be obtained, in person only, at the Engineers Training Fund, 3174 Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road, Rochester, NY, Mondays through Fridays, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., during the recruitment period. All applications must be completed on the premises. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 25 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 25 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship program.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship program.
- Must have at least one year of trade-related experience.
- Must be able to understand verbal instructions and warnings given in English.
- Must sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to perform the work of an Operating Engineer (Heavy Equipment), which may include:
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working with and/or operating hazardous machinery.
- Working in extremely dusty conditions.
- Working in extremely hot, cold, or wet weather.
- Working over water.
- Working at heights.
- Willing to be exposed to loud noises and/or respiratory irritants.
- Must pass a drug/alcohol screening, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship program. Apprentices may be subject to random drug testing at any time during their apprenticeship.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #832, which includes the counties of Allegany, Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Schuyler, Steuben, Wayne, and Yates. It also includes the eastern part of Genesee County and the City of Batavia.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship program.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and related instruction classes.
- For further information, applicants should contact Engineers JTF Local #832 DBA Upstate Engineers 158 at (585) 272-9890. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: https://www.labor.ny.gov/career-center-locator/location-list-all.php).
- Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.