Syracuse, NY (June 03, 2016) – The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #267, will conduct a recruitment from July 05, 2016 through March 31, 2017 for five to ten plumber and steamfitter apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the five to ten openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for two recruitment regions – the Central and Southern Tier regions. This program’s jurisdiction includes the counties of Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Schuyler, and Tompkins.
Applications can be obtained and submitted, in person only, at Local Union #267, 107 Twin Oaks Drive, Syracuse, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of the trade, which may include:
o Working with sharp objects, hazardous machinery, and possible exposure to loud noises and respiratory irritants.
o Prolonged standing and walking.
o Repeated squatting and/or bending.
o Working in severe weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
o Working in confined spaces.
o Working in wet and muddy conditions.
o Lifting and/or moving heavy objects and equipment.
o Working off of ladders and scaffolds at various heights.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #267, which includes the counties of Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Schuyler, and Tompkins.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. Apprentices may be required to drive company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and related instruction classes.
- Must participate in an interview, if selected.
- Must pass a drug and alcohol screening, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must take and pass the Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #267 at (315) 463-6344.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.