Syracuse, NY (August 16, 2021) – The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #267, will conduct a recruitment from August 16, 2021 through August 15, 2022 for five (5) to 10 Plumber and Steamfitter apprentices, and five (5) to 10 Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Mechanic apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the five (5) to 10 openings listed for Plumber and Steamfitter and Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Mechanic apprentices represent the total number for two recruitment regions – the Central, North Country and Southern Tier regions.
Applications can be obtained and submitted, in person only, at Local Union #267 at any of the following locations from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
- Syracuse: 107 Twin Oaks Drive, Syracuse, NY 13206
- Oswego: 705 East Seneca Street, Oswego, NY 13126
- Ithaca: 701 West State Street, Ithaca, NY 14850
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of the trade, which may include:
- Working with sharp objects, hazardous machinery, and possible exposure to loud noises and respiratory irritants.
- Prolonged standing and walking.
- Repeated squatting and/or bending.
- Working in severe weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working in wet and muddy conditions.
- Lifting and/or moving heavy objects and equipment.
- Working off of ladders and scaffolds at various heights.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #267, which includes the counties of Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Schuyler, St. Lawrence and Tompkins.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. Apprentices may be required to drive company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and classes at the approved school.
- Must pass a drug screening, at the expense of the sponsor, at the time of appointment.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must take and pass the Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test.
For further information, applicants should contact Local Union #267 at (315) 463-6344. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.