Salt City Comic Con, Upstate New York’s largest pop culture event, will get even larger as it moves to the Exposition Center at the New York State Fairgrounds July 6-7. The Comic Con focuses on the people and culture surrounding comics, TV, movies, books, graphic novels and cosplay. Along with nearly 100 vendors selling items related to comics and pop culture, there will be appearances from stars, creators and memorabilia, cosplay contests, game competitions and more. New this year will be a midway adjacent to the Expo Center, offering rides and featuring a food truck court.
“We’re pleased to be able to provide Salt City Comic Con with a home that will allow them to grow and serve many more pop culture fans, some of whom travel hundreds or thousands of miles to attend. It’s another example of how the investment in the Expo Center is paying dividends for Central New York’s tourism industry and this is going to be a fun and exciting event,” said Fair Director Troy Waffner.
“Salt City Comic Con is so excited to be in the Expo Center. This will allow us to make the show bigger and better for years to come,” Allen Laventure, Salt City Comic Con associate promoter.
Among the highlights of Salt City Comic Con will be appearances by:
- Actor Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore in the original “Ghostbusters,” along with Ecto-1a, the Ghostbusters’ work vehicle;
- Wrestling star Lita, a WWE Women’s Champion and Hall of Fame member;
- Comic writer Mark Wald, writer of Daredevil, The Flash, Archie, Ant-Man & the Wasp and others;
- Comics creators Tom Peyer and Frank Cammuso of Syracuse’s AHOY Comics;
- Pro wrestlers Sabu, The Super Genie and The Rock ‘N’ Roll Express;
- New York Mets Hall of Fame pitcher Dwight “Doc” Gooden.
There will also be panel discussions, with topics and participants yet to be determined.
Salt City Comic Con officials are working with the Great New York State Fair to create a Comic Con event during the 2019 Fair.
The Salt City Comic Con is one of a number of new events taking place in the new Expo Center, the largest clear-span building north of New York City between Boston and Cleveland. The New York State Fairgrounds is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available here.