Syracuse Fire Department Respond to 141 North Midler Avenue Fire “No Working Smoke Detectors”

Syracuse, N.Y. – At approximately 11:32 p.m. on October 11, 2019, the Syracuse Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from a house located at 141 North Midler Avenue.  Engine Co. 17 (2317 Burnet Avenue)  arrived within two minutes and found a two story wood frame, two family home with smoke coming from the top floor.

As additional companies arrived, multiple attack lines were stretched into the building and a systematic search for potential victims was conducted. The fire was extinguished and no victims were found.

Firefighters rescued at least two pets and administered oxygen with specialized pet oxygen masks.  The condition of the animals is unknown.  Four occupants were able to escape before the fire department arrived.  Two of them were evaluated on the scene by AMR, but not transported to the hospital.

Damage was contained to the first floor.  There were no working smoke detectors.  Fire Investigators found that the origin was the first floor living room area.  The cause was an electric space heater being used too close to combustibles.

The occupants are being assisted by the Red Cross.  National Grid and the Syracuse Police Department were also on the scene to assist the fire department.  No other injuries were reported.